Monday, May 13, 2013

Double Monk Ceremony in Phitsanulok,Thailand

I'll never look at a monk again in the same light!  I always thought that monks were men holier than Thou, but what I have learned here in Thailand is that men around the age of 20 go into a 'temporary monk-hood' as an honor to their parents for a period of one to four weeks.  It's a Thai tradition - it's a party for everyone but the monks!  Some men even use it as a drug and alcohol rehab center!  I've seen monks with cell phones, cameras, iPads, with tattoos and have even seen a monk smoking!  I've seen old monks and young monks and everything in between.  They fascinate me!  But I cannot touch them!!!  Here is one of the ceremonies that I attended.  Everyone must parade and dance around the temple three times!  There is a band playing loud music and I even had a shot of someone's whiskey!  Envelopes of money are given after being blessed, which I did, to the temple.  There are new temples popping up everywhere!  At this ceremony I was asked to carry one of the gold baskets of blessings at the front of the 'parade'!





















1 comment: