Friday, May 17, 2013

Beauty Around the World

I guess I never gave it much thought before...but since my recent day trip to Burma I see 'beauty' in a whole new light!  Every culture has what they perceive to be 'beauty', I understood that to a degree before.  However, once I learned more about 'Thanakha' I've contemplated what World Beauty is all about.  We all see it SO differently!  And 'beauty' is perceived vastly different everywhere I have been.

I, as an American, always thought that a 'tanned hide', groomed hair, lightly applied skin toned makeup and a slender body was a good look.  I always wanted a tan I couldn't get,  so I would 'spray' it on.  I've had eyelash extensions applied thinking it would open up and give my eyes a more beautiful and 'dramatic' look!  We all know the American culture is obsessed with grooming and spend a fortune obtaining 'our' look.  I am as guilty of that as anyone!

But the Asians are the complete opposite!  Although they too spend a lot of money on their beauty, they are obsessed with bleaching their skin to make it whiter and lighter.  Why is it we always want the opposite of what we are born with?  However, it is well known throughout history that darker skin represents working in the field, while light skin means you are fortunate, lucky and have been blessed with an easier life having been more 'protected' from the extreme elements.  I am learning to embrace my 'white' look here...my 'spray tan' wore off months ago!

Just the other day and beautiful Thai lady looked at me and said I had such beautiful skin!!!  ME?   Everyone who knows me knows I do not have good skin!!!  I have had years of serious sun exposure growing up in the summers on the lake in Minnesota, years of living in Mexico and a life time of searching out the best beach vacations destinations around the world.  I go to the dermatologist on a regular basis!  But I thanked her and thought about it...at length!

In Thailand the 'beauty' of choice is tattooed eyebrows!  Dramatic and harsh and often permanently tattooed not even where their eyebrows naturally grow!!!

BUT the Burmese...their beauty come from 'thanakha' - meaning "cosmetic for beautifying the face".  It is made from the bark of a tree, soaked, ground and pulverized on a flat stone, into a fine fragrant yellow powdery paste.  It has been used for centuries and now can be purchased commercially packaged.  Sometimes applied with intention and design and other times smeared on in a haphazardly manner.  They see each way as 'beautiful' and truly is their beauty treatment of choice.  It is also used as a sunblock, oil absorber, acne treatment and a cooling aid for prickly heat!  But if it is used as sunblock why don't they put it all over their body?  I've only seen it applied on their face.  Although thanakha is often used by women for makeup, I had a hard time getting the 'beautiful' women to let me take their pictures, so unfortunately most of my pictures are of young boys. They seem more open to life and were curious with me too!

All I really know is that my 'white' skins feels so much better here in the tropics.  The humid air has sloughed off my dry skin and there is a natural moisture and smooth feel to my skin now.  My hair and nails feel better too.  And I know that I radiate from the inside with happiness.
















2 comments:

  1. When I was there in 1972, I was told most of the Miss Universe contestants were from the Chiang Mai area because of the whiter skin.Indeed, the girls I met around Utapao AB and Pattaya, would say they too brown. I thought their nut brown skin tone was absolutely beautiful. I am sure its still the same.
    Korea also views lighter skin as more desirable. Good Day, Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, and it's that inner radiance that gives you the most beautiful glow. What a great post, Claudia. Continue these marvelous observations.

    ReplyDelete