Thursday, June 20, 2013

Monks' Alms Procession

In Minnesota I am obsessed with the Amish, in Japan it was with the Geishas, but in Southeast Asia I have taken it to a whole new level and seem unusally obsessed with monks!

This morning I set my alarm at 5:00 AM and was out the door and on my moped shortly thereafter.  Between 5:30 and  6:00 EVERY morning here in Luang Prabang, and many other places throughout Laos, there is this beautiful ritual.  A site to be seen, especially if you are obsessed with monks, like me!

Daily at dawn, 'hundreds' of peaceful saffron clad monks walk barefoot throughout the streets while pious local towns people place offerings of small amounts of sticky rice, wrapped crackers, and whole bananas in their begging bowls.

It is extremely quiet, except for the few tuktuks going by, and seems like a walking meditation through which the monks demonstrate their vows of poverty and humility while the lay Buddhists gain spiritual merit by the act of respectful giving.

It brought tears of joy and gratitude as I watched this special daily ritual and was overwhelmed by both the monks who received the simple offerings and all those who gave.  And I wondered if the local towns people have any other relationship with these monks outside of this morning ceremony.

It is over quite quickly and in less than thirty minutes the monks have all disappeared and the men and women pick up their mats and empty rice baskets and all go behind closed doors and on with their day.....

Tomorrow is another day...





















No comments:

Post a Comment